Tuesday, November 22, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things... (part I)

There are roughly 54 hours until the annual family feast!  Thanksgiving is upon us and then... well, you know what's next!  I'm more than ready to start decorating and getting full blown into the Christmas season, but first let's soak up Thanksgiving for the next 2 days.  The last couple Thanksgivings have been especially poignant for me personally, but we'll get into that a little later.  For now I want to just touch on two of my favorite charities during the Christmas season...


Toys for Tots - Toys for Tots was started in 1947 by reservist Major William L. Hendricks of the United States Marine Corp. Reserves. It's goal was to provide gifts for children who's parents could not afford them for Christmas.  There's a magic about Christmas to a child that is profound and giving children that gift, I feel, goes beyond simply giving them a shiny gift on Christmas, but helps give them moments of joy and hope in their formative years that will hopefully help them get through the tough times their families are going through.   Being a toy collector, this charity has always struck a chord with me because of my hobby... because at the end of the day, toys are meant to be played with by kids first and foremost! 



Child's Play - Child's Play Charity was started in 2003 by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, creators of the Penny Arcade webcomic.  The charity has rallied the gamer community and gaming induistry to donate games and toys to childrens' hospitals throughout the world to help improve the lives of sick children. Over the last 7 years they've raised millions for sick children.  If you've got 20 minutes, here's two episodes of the reality series that covered Child's Play:  PATV - Child's Play part 1, PATV - Child's Play part 2.  I highly recommend you find the 20 minutes.  :)  I believe the phrase "laughter is the best medicine" really is true.  Laughter and a positive mental attitude have a profound affect on the body's ability to heal and recover.  Giving children who are battling cancer and other serious and not so serious ailments, toys and games to help them take them minds off of their horrible situations goes a long long way to helping them make full recoveries.  When you're done with the videos, head over to the website and check them out.  

This Thanksgiving, and every Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my health and my family's health and for being in a situation where I can help others in some small way.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment